Free School Meals
Free School Meals
By applying for free school meals your child's school will be entitled to claim Pupil Premium from the Government to enhance their education.
Am I Eligible for Free School Meals?
Cheshire West and Cheshire award free school meals to families that receive the qualifying incomes as outlined below, and whose children attend a Cheshire West and Cheshire school.
You may qualify if you are a parent or guardian and receive one of the following:
- Income Support (IS) or you are a pupil receiving the benefit in your own right
- Income Based Jobseekers Allowance (IBJSA)
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999; or
- Child Tax Credit (but not Working Tax Credit) and have an annual income (as assessed by Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs) that does not exceed £16,190
- The Guarantee element of State Pension Credit
- Working Tax Credit run-on - paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit
- Children who get any of the above benefits in their own right (ie they get benefits payments directly, instead of through a parent or guardian) can also get free school meals.
If You Think You Are Eligible
Free School Meals can be awarded for any Child that attends a school within Cheshire West and Chester area, even if they reside outside of the area, where a parent meets the qualifying criteria. Free School Meals cannot be awarded for foster children.
Nursery aged children can receive Free School Meals if they attend a Local Authority maintained nursery school or nursery class and they attend before and after lunch sessions. If the nursery is held on the school grounds but is managed privately Free School Meals cannot be awarded.
All you have to do is phone the number below and we will let you know if the Children in your care are entitled to Free School Meals.
Please check you entitlement NOW by phoning the helpline number
Free School Meals Helpline - 0300 123 7021. Alternatively you can apply online here.
CWAC will assess your claim using our eligibility checker to confirm your entitlement; if successful your claim will begin the same day.